One of my really favorite mayors, the honorable Michael Bloomberg (you know the guy who literally may have bought his way into office last time around? But, I digress) railed against gun violence in his city on Friday, December 11, after a street peddler armed with a machine pistol died in a shootout with police outside a hotel in Times Square.
“We’ve got to stop this,” Bloomberg said. “This is one of the great public health threats. And our police officers are clearly in danger.” Yes, I would agree that the police officers were basically on their own in a city where concealed carry by law abiding citizens is persona non grata. That leaves only the crooks with guns and I doubt they have much desire to help the police. I know that were I a crook, I would be very content to ply my trade in a city that has a gun-a-phobic like Bloomberg in office. He just does not seem to get the fact that even if guns were banned world wide, there would still be a booming black market supplying them to people with little regard for rules that people like Bloomberg cite. For myself, I wish that everyone could get along and I wish that there was no crime and I wish I were filthy rich. But, none of these will ever happen. I remember something Thomas Jefferson once said, “Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.”
And here are a few more sound bites for thought:
1) “Those who trade liberty for security have neither.” ~John Adams
2) Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.
3) An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.
4) Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.
5) Gun control is not about guns; it’s about control.
6) You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.
7) Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.
8) Assault is a behavior, not a device.
9) 64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.
10) The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.
11) The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others.
12) Guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians.
13) When you remove the people’s right to bear arms, you create slaves.
14) The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.
I am just a simple man with a head full of sand who is currently residing in a small town called Forsyth Missouri. I enjoy hiking, camping and all things related to gardening. I rec’d my degree from SIU majoring in Biology many moons ago and still maintain a great interest in the study of all living things. My hobbies include meteorology, the Finnish language and inhabiting cyberspace whenever possible.